Karlsruhe

The historical tour of the city
The Karlsruhe Palace

The Karlsruhe Palace

The Karlsruhe Palace was built in 1715 as the residence of Margrave Karl Wilhelm of Baden-Durlach. The architect of the partly wooden building was the engineer and lieutenant Jakob Friedrich von Batzendorf. The castle like the town had to be completely renovated in 1746, and the opportunity was taken to rebuild it entirely out of stone. It served for 200 years as the seat of government of the Baden dynasty. In the third quarter of the 18th Century it was fundamentally rebuilt and the interior was repeatedly changed and refurnished. In 1849 Grand Duke Leopold was thrown out of the palace by Baden revolutionaires. It finally left the monarchy in November 1918. In 1921 the archaelogical an ethnological collections and the holdings of the Applied Arts Museum were united as the Baden State Museum in the former residence. Karlsruhe Palace was completely destroyed by air raids, during September 1944. As a result of the rebuilding, the latest styles and technologies of museum design could be used.

The Karlsruhe Palace

The Karlsruhe Palace

  The Karlsruhe Palace
The Palace Gardens

index of the historical tour
index history of the city

[Français]    [Deutsch]

 


Stadt Karlsruhe, 26.10.1998, Medienbüro BS/pf